There are many many places to have lunch in Amsterdam. Somethimes it’s hard to find the right spots, the places where you go and want to come back. So part of the Amsterdam Files I will tell you where to go for food, shops, museums etc. This time: 5 x lunch in the Jordaan district. Or breakfast, whatever you like.
1. Vinnies Deli. It’s one of my favourites. Located in one of the nicest streets in Amsterdam, the Haarlemmerstraat, you’ll find Vinnies Deli. They have a great organic menu with good vegetarian options as well as meat. Also healthy stuff like quinoa and eggplant with pommegranade. All the furniture in this cool spot is also for sale. What’s not to love? Just a 5 min walk from central station; Haarlemmerstraat 46 hs / vinnieshomepage.com
2. SLA. Salad lovers go to SLA, which means, salad. It’s as simple as that. You can make your own salad by chosing all the ingredients yourself. Or, you can choose one of their seasonal salads or soupes on the menu. It’s supertasty, honest and healthy. Their interior makes me very happy. And oh, the organic tea selection is also very goood! Westerstraat 34 / ilovesla.com
3. Two for Joy. Well, if you are a coffee lover this is your spot. They roast their own beans, so it doesn’t get any fresher then this. I love the smell when they are roasting! But also for salads and sandwiches this is a nice place. Try the homemade granola with fresh fruit for breakfast. Haarlemmerdijk 182 / twoforjoy.nl
4. Greenwoods. With a bit of a hippy atmosphere this cosy place makes you feel at home immediately. They serve great breakfasts and have a wide tea selection which you can also order by pot. The homemade pies are out of this world! Try their lemon meringue pie. Close to central station; Singel 103 / greenwoods.eu
5. Café Thijssen. One of the nicest brown cafés in the Jordaan. Sit at the reading table and eat a typical Amsterdams ‘broodje ossenworst’, which is raw beef sausage served with onions and mustard. It’s located on a nice corner and the atmosphere is always relaxed here. Brouwersgracht 107 / cafethijssen.nl
Credits: 1/2/9 somewheresomethingblog 3/4/5 Teska Overbeeke 6/ Skyler Chen 7/ Marta Greber 8/ Falling of Bicycles / 10/ unknown 11/ Charming Travel Choices